Sunday, September 28, 2008

All Done!

During my breaks from work (I work for a temp agency) and Bryce’s nightly studying, I tend to get bored. Since I have done all the puzzles we own at least twice, my friend Amy kindly offered to let me borrow their Mickey Mouse puzzle. I’ve had it for a few weeks now, but finally finished it this past Wednesday. It’s 1000 pieces and each piece is a mosaic of some Disney movie. Needless to say, it took a bit longer to complete than most puzzles, but I got it done. Now I think I’ll take a break from puzzles for a while.


So, as I mentioned, I work for a temp agency. My most recent assignment is to fill in as the Administrative Coordinator for CEPAR (Critical Event Preparedness and Response). It’s part of the Department of Emergency Medicine at Johns Hopkins, but at their administrative offices up in Mt. Washington so I don’t have to go into the city (i.e. I can drive there and have free parking). They coordinate all other university and medical departments’ disaster response plans. So, if there is an emergency, each department has someone that they go to in order to make sure there isn’t a lapse in communication between the entities. The department also has a grant from Homeland Security for a National Center of Excellence in preparedness and critical event response (PACER) so the physicians and researchers work with other universities across the country to study and coordinate disaster response. My job is basic administrative support, but I’m starting to do some other projects for them as well as they discover I’m able to do more than just answer the phones and schedule conference rooms. The temp position is for six weeks, but they have offered me a permanent position, either in the job I’m doing (if the person I’m filling in for decides not to come back), or they will find something else for me to do until the baby is born. It’s nice to know that I have something set and fairly consistent for the next few months, and I like the people I work with. It may be that I can still do some part time work for them from home after the baby is born, but that’s something I’ll have to discuss with them once things get settled and I see what they are having me do. At any rate, I’m now working 40 hours a week and have much less bored time.

There have been some requests for belly pictures, but those will have to wait a few more weeks as it’s pretty hard to see still, despite not fitting in any of my clothes any more. Have no fear though, I will post some eventually.

Bryce is doing fine. He’s got another test next Monday (6th) so this will be another week of cramming. He passed his first test fine which was a big relief. He’ll still be studying a lot though. He’s had a love/hate relationship with the rainfall for the last few days; he loves rain, but hates it when it prevents them from playing football on Saturday mornings. He’s also been called to be a Teacher’s quorum advisor and Assistant Varsity Scout leader. I teach some lively 6-7 year olds in Primary.

We finally got couches so I’ll post some pictures of our apartment in the next few weeks. We just need to do some organizing and hang some pictures, but we’re getting settled. We have our 20 week ultrasound on Tuesday so I’ll post some pictures of that as well.

6 comments:

blaine and michelle said...

We did one of those mosaic puzzles once, and it pretty much cured me of liking puzzles for good. It sounds like your job is great, I'm so glad for you. Blaine's the teacher's quorum advisor, too. I'm glad all is well and I'm still waiting for the belly pics. Are you feeling better yet?

Erin G. said...

Congratulations on the job! That's awesome and I bet it's nice to know what you'll be doing, even if it is only for a few months. I hope you keep liking the job! Chris is the teacher's quorum advisor too. This is funny. And I love puzzles too but haven't done a mosaic one so I might have to try that.

Memorable Wrappers said...

WHAT?!?!?! Amy's family and I worked on that puzzle for hours and hours until we finally gave up. Hats off to you! Wow, I'm impressed. I'm also relieved that there weren't any missing pieces... ;)

Clark and Liesel said...

Way to go Cathi! That puzzle looked really hard- but I am impressed you finished it! Glad things are going well at work. And congrats on your couches! That will be nice to get everythign situated and have it feel more like home! Can't wait to see them!

Sarah McM said...

That puzzle is hot. I haven't done a puzzle in... years. I don't even remember the last one.

And you're almost ready for a 20 week ultrasound? If you can't see a belly yet, you will any day. Maybe you just don't notice it because you see yourself all the time. Have any strangers asked you if you are pregnant?

Frederick Family BlogSpot said...

Feeling left out. . .
I know that I'm not great at updating my blog, and my internet access has been having problems lately BUT I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW YOU WERE PREGNANT. You would've thought someone would have mentioned it. Anyway, I also noticed you didn't have my blog, Jana's, or Jeff's on your list. Well, that's okay, but would you please make sure that SOMEONE tells us at least when your baby arrives.